Friday, October 11, 2013

MY TOP 5 EU-RELATED TOPICS



This week our task was to give an overview of five potential topics regarding the European Union. This should help us decide on a specific topic to write our academic paper about. Here you can read about my ideas: 

Why are the Danish people the happiest people in the EU?
I have recently visited Denmark where I learned that the Danes are the most satisfied nation within the EU, even though they have the highest tax rate.

Interpreters in the European Parliament
Since this topic probably affects some of us in the future, it would be interesting to know what languages are needed. What qualification in general you need to be allowed to work for the parliament?

Joining the EU – The Copenhagen Criteria
What is the Copenhagen Criteria? How can a country become a member of the EU? What criteria are necessary to join? Why do countries want to join?

Why did Sweden decide to keep its currency?
Sweden is one of the few countries which have a different currency than the other EU-members. Why do they still have Swedish Krona? Are they going to change that in the future?

Opt-outs in the EU
What does this term mean? Which states have such opt-outs? Are there different kinds? And what are the opt-outs about?

Those are my five ideas. Researching about my topics made me realize what an interesting organization the EU is and it made me become even more curious to learn more about the European Union.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alex,
    I really love your topic "Why are the Danish people the happiest in the EU". I never heard of it before and so I'd be really interested in reading about it.
    The second topic I'd be interested in is the "Sweden and currency" related one. Have you read through this page? http://www.currencyinformation.org/History-of-the-Swedish-Krona.htm I think it contains some interesting information about the history of the Swedish Krona. Though I don't know whether or not you'd want to write about it in your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I really like all of your topics, especially those with a deeper focus, like The Copenhagen Criteria. I haven't heard of it before and I would really be interested in reading your paper if you decide to write about this topic.

    ReplyDelete