Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pronunciation Diary 1



This semester we focus on pronunciation. First we had to decide if we want to speak with an American accent or with a British accent. Since I worked in the States as an aupair, the decision was not really hard for me - American English sounds more natural to me, probably because my ears are used to it. After almost two years living in California, my host family told me that my pronunciation improved a lot. Other American people noticed an accent but did not think it was German - probably because the “German German” accent they are used to is different than my “Austrian German” accent.
 I have to admit that my pronunciation got worse since I am back in Austria, obviously, because I stopped speaking English every day. One way to improve my pronunciation is to read books out loud, or sometimes I watch movies and repeat phrases. I can only do that when my roommates are not here, because otherwise they think something is wrong with me ;) 
A few weeks ago I started to use Antimoon. It is a great source to improve your pronunciation. The tips they provide are really helpful, and they tell you about the importance of pronunciation. I want to finish up with a quote I found on an Antimoon subpage:
“English pronunciation is unpredictable. If you don’t put effort into English pronunciation, you will make mistakes, and mistakes can turn into bad habits. The longer you ignore pronunciation, the more bad habits you will form. So don’t put it off.“

No comments:

Post a Comment